Buffalo residents winners in state Make it with Wool competition

Two Buffalo residents were among the winners, and a Gillette resident took second place in the Wyoming Make it with Wool competition last month in Laramie.

Alicia Downaire of Buffalo took first place in the senior division, and Cassie Downaire of Buffalo received first in the junior division. Alicia Downaire also won the senior construction. Meghan Hanson of Gillette finished in second place in the senior division.

Judging was at the University of Wyoming’s Cliff and Martha Hansen Teaching Arena. Because of COVID-19 restrictions, there was no in-person modeling of garments this year.

Carol Macy, state contest director, said judging was based on a video provided by each contestant.

Winners in adult, senior and junior categories advance to the national contest to be held later this year by the American Sheep Industry. Macy said the winners will mail their garments with an information packet and a 90-second video of them modeling their creations.

Macy said garments must be 100 percent wool or wool blends, containing a minimum of 60 percent wool or specialty wool fiber for each fashion fabric, fiber or yarn. Specialty fibers include alpaca, angora, camel, cashmere, llama and mohair. She said 40 percent of entry scores are on the overall construction of the garment, 10 percent on marketability and presentation, and 50 percent on overall presentation.

Macy said 39 entries were submitted for the competition, from 12 districts across the state.



Subscribe
Notify of
First & Last Name
Valid Email
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments