The Wyoming Department of Health on Thursday confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in Johnson County.
The Johnson County Healthcare Center scheduled a media briefing Thursday morning concerning the announcement.
Johnson County Health Officer Dr. Mark Schueler said Wyoming State Health Officer Dr. Alexia Harrist reported to county officials that the patient is an adult male probably middle-aged, and is not currently hospitalized but self-quarantined at home.
He was tested at a private lab earlier this week, and the results were confirmed and reported Thursday morning.
Although the identity of the first case in the county is not known, it is known that his symptoms began about 5 days ago.
The State Health Department has begun investigating the incident, and checking possible contacts to see if they may have symptoms.
Dr. Schueler said it is important to know anyone in the community could be harboring the virus and not yet ill, so everyone is a potential spreader of the virus.
Hospital CEO Sean McCallister gave an update on plans that are being implemented to deal with the virus.
They are establishing an alternate site at the Catholic Rec Hall for “surge patients” that may become necessary; as well as a drive-up screening center that will be on the healthcare center campus that will be ready next week; and finally they will be implementing “telehealth” in the clinic to decrease traffic to the healthcare facility.